Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My one year old springer spaniel has just developed a rash

My one year old springer spaniel has just developed a rash on her belly. She is off her food today and less lively than normal. She was springing about in bushes and undergrowth yesterday, and also caught and ate a baby rabbit. Could this be a reason for her symptoms?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she licking the rash? 2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 3- Can you post a picture of the rash on this thread? 4- Any other symptoms? 5- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not licking the rash.She has eaten a small quantity of grass today and wretched it back up. Apart from loss of appetite and less energy than normal, no other symptoms. I am unable to take her temperature or a picture.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Can you describe the appearance of the rash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rash is pale pink lumps, erratically spread over her belly.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I don't believe the rash and her lack or appetite & lethargy are related; two different problems. You see, usually a rash will not cause her to become anorexic and lethargic. It is likely the rash could: An allergic contact dermatitis, a localized infection, etc. As far as her anorexia and lethargy I am a bit concern this could be related the rabbit; it is possible for an obstruction to occur. Her eating grass further supports gastrointestinal issues. In this case, I would strongly recommend having her checked by family veterinarian today for a hands on examination and xrays. Important to make sure the bones from the rabbit are not causing an obstruction. If this is related to an obstruction and she goes untreated the outcome could be fatal, for this reason it is always best to check. In the meantime feel free to apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin on the rash 2 times a day. Upon vet check they will send her home with topical medication that also has a topical anti inflammatory medication. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.