Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has been ill a week. I've been to the vet about 4 times so far. H

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has been ill for over a week. I've been to the vet about 4 times so far. He initially vomitted bile with blood clothes. He was given some Medication but the vommitting continued. His blood tests have come back clear, X-rays and ultra sounds were also fine. But he is still vommiting (no blood clothes), he has no appetite, he is lethargic. He has completed a course of antibiotics and had 2 injections to help stop the vommiting. Any idea what this could be please? It's been 10 days now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry that you and Hugo have been through so much the past few weeks Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues such as vomiting your Hugo is currently experiencingSo that leaves you with a few options1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies and they can occur in a senior dog. One of my dogs didn't develop a food allergy until she was 11 years old2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.3.) Unfortunately if the vomiting does not change the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery or a full biopsy done with an exploratory surgery is sometimes necessary4.) So my top differentials with this information will be inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), intestinal lymphoma (which can have a normal ultrasound), addison's disease (which can have normal bloodwork and requires specific testing such as an ACTH stimulation blood test to rule out), or food allergy. Here is more information on these conditions:IBD: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/inflammatory-bowel-disease-in-dogsFood allergy: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/food-allergy-in-dogsAddison's Disease: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/hormones-body-chemistry/hypoadrenocorticism-addisons-disease-in-dogsIntestinal lymphoma: https://www.vetinfo.com/gastrointestinal-lymphoma-in-dogs.htmlI hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour tonight (in the States) If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!