nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY DOG HAS DEVELOPED BALD PATCHES UNDER HISCOLLAR THE SKIN

Customer Question

MY DOG HAS DEVELOPED BALD PATCHES UNDER HISCOLLAR THE SKIN IS DRY AND FLAKY
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. How long has he had these signs?Is it only under the collar area?Any itching of the area?Any other skin changes (ie pimples, pustules, scabs)?When was he last treated for fleas? What brand did you use?Any diet change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only just noticed when i was brushing him a couple of days ago, it is only under his collar. doesn't seem to be itching more,no other skin changes, treated for fleas a few months ago with spot on, no diet change
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your further description and since this hair loss is under the collar region alone without causing itching; this is actually most likely a side effect of the collar. This is because the repeated rubbing of the collar on the skin over time actually stops hair growth in this area. This tends to be permanent but causes no issues for our dogs.Still, if we are seeing dander/scaling, it is possible that this is from the collar irritating the skin but could also be due to a deficiency in essential fatty acids (EFAs) . EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat growth. To supplement these, we can consider adding oily fish (ie salmon, a common EFA source) to your wee one’s diet. As well, we can orally supplement using Omega 3 + 6 fish oil or even evening primrose oil. Further to these, there are also OTC oral EFA supplements like Viacutin or Yumega. A few milliliters daily added to food can often improve skin and coat health and help with dander issues.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be due to fleas, i already give him omega capsules for his joints as he has elbow dysplasia
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, We could see hair loss and skin changes from fleas; but they tend to target the neck, over the spine, and tail base. As well, the key to their causing bother is that they make dogs itchy/scratch. So, you can certainly treat for them but the lack of itchiness makes them less likely to be our culprits.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )