nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have two pups ages 18 weeks, they are on James wellbeloved

Customer Question

I have two pups ages 18 weeks, they are on James wellbeloved puppy kibble, fit and healthy, only their first stool in the morning is firm, after this they seem looser and they love to eat it! How can I stop them please?!
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, we do need to tread with care if their stools are looser over the day (when they don't have delayed fecal output like they do when sleeping). This is because in young pups we can see looser stools related to lurking worm infections protozoa, low grade bacterial issues, or even secondary to dietary indiscretion. And as I am sure you can appreciate, pups are notorious of having issues with the last ones since they put everything in their mouths. Otherwise, it is possible that the diet is related to what we are seeing. One potential issue is that the JWB diet they are on just doesn't have quite the level of fiber they need. Therefore, you could consider offering a small dose of OTC Protexin Profiber (which your vet should be able to provide) or Benefibre (0.25 tsp in the morning). In the case of the latter, since they are on kibble, you may just want to offer a small amount of canned food so that this can be mixed in (since we don't want to give it directly). As well, since we can see less then ideal stools in this manner can be related to imbalances in the gut microflora (good gut bacteria), this too should be addressed. To do so, we can use a canine specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora) or if they are very runny your vet should carry a few over the counter probiotic/kaolin options like Canikur, Protexin Pro-Fiber, or Fast Balance. Or these can also be obtained OTC at some pet stores and online. Overall, there are a few different issues that could cause the signs we are seeing. since both pups have signs we'd not assume it is an allergy to the food. Instead, we'd want to start the above supportive care for the short term. Though if their signs linger, then we may want to speak to their vet about testing a stool sample to make sure there is no ongoing health reasons for looser stools through the day. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
How is everything going with your wee ones?Dr. B.