Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My golden retriever has got swollen puffy eyelids top and bottom.

My golden retriever has got swollen puffy eyelids top and bottom. He isn't scratching them.... about 2 hours ago I got a tick out of his eyebrow and that eyebrow and eyelid is more swollen but the other one also is. I also got a rick from his shoulder which also has a lump. He had eaten all day and played fine and his behaviour is normal. He got into a fish pond on Monday and today has jumped into my bath full of Bath soak. What should I do? Take him to a vet or wait until morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did the swelling come on quickly? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed it about 45 mins ago as I was brushing him. He weighs 42kg and no other symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Do you have an anti histamine at home? If so, what is the name and milligrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I can not make a live call at this time but I am happy to answer your question on this thread. Please let me know if you have an anti histamine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes only what the doctor prescribes. They are lpratadine 10mg tablets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it's meant to say loratadine 10mg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is he currently on Loratadine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry they are my son's for hayfever
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the redness in the eyelids could be a sign of an allergic reaction to something he came in contact or ate; I don't believe this is related to the tick. I would definitely have him checked by family veterinarian to examine closely the eyelids. In the meantime you can start him on Loratadine 10mg every 12 hours. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.