Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cocker spaniel weighs 11kg and has eaten one grape.one

My cocker spaniel weighs 11kg and has eaten one grape.one hour ago. She is showing no symptoms and is happily. Chewing a rawhide bone.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry for this concern for Cassie. While grapes can be toxic for some dogs, they aren't universally toxic for all of them. Why this might be the case is still unknown and somewhat of a mystery.Additionally, there's some variability in the number of grapes which need to be eaten before kidney issues are seen. However, having said that, it's highly, highly unlikely that Cassie will experience any adverse symptoms if she only ate one grape since she weighs 11 kg. If she weighed 2-3 kg, then I might be a little worried. Just in case you were wondering what sort of symptoms might develop with grape toxicity, increased thirst and urination, lethargy, vomiting and/or disinterest in food are the ones most commonly seen. These symptoms might develop with a 6-12 hours after ingestion of a sufficient number of grapes. She should be just fine but if you want to induce vomiting since it's only been 1 hour since she ate it, you could give her 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle) at a dose of 3 teaspoons mixed with bread. Walk her around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will. I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb