Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My cavachon is nine and it is his back left leg that he

Customer Question

my cavachon is nine and it is his back left leg that he favors and lifts when he walks. i thought a bruised pad but now not sure
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!The primary concerns are a cruciate tear or a patellar luxation with his breed and symptoms. I would advise a veterinary exam because a home evaluation will not give this diagnosis, a veterinarian needs to check the stifle for drawer or movement which cannot be done without an experienced hand versus the kneecap floating which palpates very differently. Often with palpation and manipulation at home you will not see any indications of this conditionHere is more information on cruciate tears in dogs:http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/ruptured-cranial-cruciate-ligament-in-dogsAnd for patellar luxations:http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/medial-patella-luxation-in-dogsUntil you are able to have an evaluation, please limit activity as much as you are able. Rotate warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals, and massage from toes to hip and back down again frequently to stimulate blood flow therefore healingUntil examined please lift to go potty and leash only to minimize running and jumping which can cause further injury.I hope this information makes sense. It is possible that this is a simple muscle injury but I suspect you would have seen some improvement if that were the case in this length of time. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!