Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My 3yr old border collie passed tarry motions last week, he

My 3yr old border collie passed tarry motions last week, he had endoscopy, and scan, nothing shown ,blood tests back normal, barium shows nothing, he is off food, very gassy, on pain relief which is blowing his brains, pancreas and ulcers have been mentioned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.Black tarry stools indicate the presence of digested blood, which I am sure they have explained to you. Intestinal ulcers and pancreatitis are two of the most common problems to cause this. The ulcers bleed in the stomach leading to digested blood. The pancreas produces enzymes that can damage the lining of the upper small intestine causing it to bleed a bit and that leads to digested blood. Other possibilities include some parasites... I assume that they have dewormed him correct? They should do a few days of Panacure/fenbendazole even if the fecal is negative to just be sure that parasites are not the cause. There can also be some intestinal cancers that cause this problem. Usually endoscopy and ultrasound will find these things, but not always. The intestine is a body system that is challenging to evaluate without actually looking at it. Sometimes it requires exploratory surgery and biopsies to make a diagnosis. It sounds like they have done a good work up. They should be treated for ulcers with sucralfate and some kind of antacid (the omeprazole is good) And deworming . If these things don't work then it is time to consider exploratory surgery to find the source of the bleeding.I hope that helps, but if you have more question please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.