Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog in first enquire has now been confirmed pancreatitis

My dog in first enquire has now been confirmed pancreatitis - is this a permanent problem or can. It be cured by medication and careful feeding? Will it plague my dog for the rest of his life?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I would like to help with your question.There are 2 forms of pancreatitis.... One we call acute pancreatitis. This one comes on very suddenly and is usually triggered by something. Triggers can be stress, medications, food, particularly high fat foods. Dogs with acute pancreatitis get very sick initially, but often respond to medications and improve pretty quickly also. The inflammation in their pancreas goes down and they are completely fine afterwards.The other is chronic pancreatitis. This one is more difficult. In these cases there is low grade inflammation in the pancreas that doesn't always make them very sick... sometime you just see decreased appetite, occasional vomiting, intermittent diarrhea. Chronic pancreatitis is often never 100% resolved. Medications can help reduce the symptoms and low fat food can reduce the inflammation in the pancreas, but it is never completely normal. It is not always clear which form a dog has initially. There is no test to tell us which form. A biopsy may be able to determine, but biopsies of the pancreas tend to make the inflammation worse so we don't want to do this. I would say... if this was a sudden onset and he is improving I am hopeful that this is acute pancreatitis and he will make a full recovery. However, it will take a little time to see how he does to know for sure. One thing we do know is that repeated bouts of acute pancreatitis can lead to chronic pancreatitis so careful feeding is a good plan. You don't want to trigger another episode and high fat foods can do thatI hope that helps, but if I can be of further help, let me know. And please don't forget to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not being sick, not too keen to eat, will eat hand fed chicken, drinking water ok. Was very gassy but this has improved, luckily! Seems happy out on short exercise and his usual friendly manner greeting people and dogs!
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that sounds a bit more like chronic pancreatitis.... Acute pancreatitis causes a lot of vomiting. Even if this is acute pancreatitis, it can often be managed with diet once the initial illness is past. I wish you the best!