Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My male labrador/Akita cross who is 8 years old has a

My male labrador/Akita cross who is 8 years old has a swelling on right side of upper jaw between back teeth and eye. The lump is elongated and about an inch long and half an inch width. It feels hard to the touch does not seem to cause him a great deal of pain if touched although he does pull away a bit if you touch it. He has not had an accident of any kind but thinking about it he has been pulling away if you stroke that side of his face over the last week.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload a photo(s) of this swelling to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.You're likely to be describing swelling associated with a maxillary 4th premolar or 1st molar tooth root abscess. The swelling of an envenomation by flying insect or spider should have abated within the week. There should have been a history of a bite wound or other puncture to make a subcutaneous cellulitis/abscess an important differential diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have uploaded two pictures sorry about the quality cant keep him still he seems happy and fussy and does not seem in any pain at the moment..
Unfortunately, rex1.jpg is just a blur. rex2.jpg reveals the swelling in the area I would expect swelling to arise secondary to a tooth root abscess. Take a look inside his mouth above the last few teeth on his maxillary (top) arcade and see if you detect a fracture in a tooth and/or swelling/erythema (redness) above a tooth. Please let me know what you find. In many cases, I have to X-ray these teeth in order to find the expected abscessed root. Surprisingly, our dogs rarely appear painful in spite of these abscesses. We'd be at the dentist as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its difficult to tell the large molar has like a discoloured circle in the middle with a darker ring round the circles edge.
I understand. If that same molar on the other side of his mouth doesn't look like what you're seeing, you may well have identified the culprit. Please check that other tooth for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, he is been a bit grumpy now about me looking in his mouth I think the other tooth looks. normal. If its a root abscess what should my next course of action be. My dog does not like other people especially people he does not know he has the looks of a Labrador and the aggression of a cross akita.
Don't get hurt, please! His vet will have to take look inside Rex's mouth. Expect Rex being anesthetized or, at least, dissociated ("spaced out") for the exam and X-rays if need be. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help I will rate 5 stars in a minute. Is this something I should have hime straight down to the vets tomorrow or is there any medicine he can have which will allow a couple of days.
I don't see any urgency and he doesn't appear to require analgesia at this time (paracetamol at 15 mg/kg thrice daily if need be). You're quite welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ibuprofen and I have naproxen if they are any help.
No, you must avoid those toxic nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in dogs. Your only other safe alternative is aspirin dosed at 20 mg/kg with food twice daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I will monitor him 24 hours and get him to a vet by end of week Friday
It's my pleasure. Sounds good.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.