nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am concerned about my dog who has recently over the past

Hi I am concerned about my dog who has recently over the past few weeks started drinking excessive amounts of water and been shakey, over the past few days we have started to notice a really bad smell coming from him and his bed has been wet i think he is leaking from below. I have been doing a bit of research which symptoms connect to either kidney disease or failure, he is 11 years old. I cannot get a vet appointment until 2 weeks time!! Your advice would be much appreciated.Kind regards
Nicole
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has also started to look drawn in at the back too.
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, Nicole. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Was only a urine test done? Do you know what was checked for specifically?Has his urine looked watery/dilute or strong?How much water would you estimate that he drinks in a 24 hour period?How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi yes it was only a urine test that was carried out, no they just told us it was clear and gave pain killers for 3 days in case he was in any pain. His urine looks watery almost clear which I'm guessing is due to the amount of water he is drinking. He is drinking around 8-10 pints of water a day. He weighs around 45kilos they weighed when we were over and they stated he had put a bit on.
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,First, I would note that kidney disease could certainly be a concern here for Sam. Though if his vet did a basic in house urine test, they should have checked the specific gravity (concentration) of the urine and with kidney disease they should have picked up that this was low. So, I would suggest ringing them and seeing if that is the case. If it is, then they may be able to just dispense treatment to you without having him back right away since they have already seen him for this recently.Otherwise, I do have to note that if that urine is very dilute and he is drinking that excessively (which is ~ 2x his daily requirement for his size), we do have some other concerns here. We could see early stage kidney failure missed by the urine (less likely though with what you have reported, and this can be checked with a urine urea:creatinine ratio if needed); but our other concerns would be heart issues, liver disease, and metabolic/hormonal diseases (ie Cushing's disease, Addison's disease, Diabetes insipidus etc). We could also see this with diabetes mellitus (insulin dependant diabetes), but again the urine test should have picked that up. Otherwise, we can see this with severe inflammatory processes and we do have to be wary that some cancers (those that elevate blood calcium levels like lymphoma and anal gland adenocarcinomas) can also cause what we are seeing.So, it is worth ringing about the specific gravity results but otherwise we need to tread with care. There will be unfortunately little you can do at home (safe for making sure he has access to water at all times and potentially offering canned food to help keep him hydrated and reduce his need to drink) since his vet hasn't definitively diagnosed what is amiss. At this stage, our next step would be to have bloods checked for those above conditions +/- the heart evaluated. And if he is showing such dramatic signs already, we'd really want to push for an earlier appointment even if it means waiting, dropping him off to be seen when the vet can (an option if your schedule is overly busy), or seeing an alternative vet. Because the sooner we get to the root of these concerns, the sooner we can address this to keep him comfortable and manage these signs. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi thanks for your response I probably should have made myself a bit clearer it is not his back passage he is leaking from it is his penis. I will try pushing on appointment or seek another vet thanks
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,I hadn't thought it was, as urine only comes from the penis. Therefore, it is those issues I noted above we'd be worried about if we had penile and thus urinary tract based leakage alongside excessive thirst.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for all your help today much appreciated we managed to get app pushed for toady at 4.
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome & that is great news. :)All the best for Sam,Dr. B.