nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Picked up dog from dog minder with bloody patch to face/neck

Picked up dog from dog minder with bloody patch to face/neck area, dog distressed at the time, vet thought on 1st glance ? Weeping eczema, we don't know whether dog has had a burn, fight or injury as dog minder could not tell us anything. Vet in committal as she is insure ,Vet sedated dog, gave antibiotic injection, cleaned area, laser to wound??, Sent us home with metacam and clorexyderm which obviously stings the face. Wound quite a mess, have been unable to get to speak to vet on phone as for some reason she is only passing her comments through receptionist. Do I need a second opinion on this. Dog is very subdued, irritated by wound, sleeping a lot but has been drinking some water and having a soft diet in the morning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did this happen? How long has he been on treatment?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to send you a photo as I keep losing the link. The wound is extensive and this is day 3
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

That is a shame, since it would allow me to confirm what your suspected or give you an ideal of what else could be present here. So, if you can post it anywhere and paste that link here, I'd be happy to have a look.

Otherwise, based on your history, this is most suggestive of a facial trauma (injury is more likely than a burn if the hair was intact) or moist dermatitis (which one could cause eczema). Both can appear quite severe and would be treated in the manner your vet used. That said, I am concerned to hear that this isn't showing positive progress already. If it was very severe, it could be slow to heal but we'd want to see it start drying out and certainly reducing in size.

Therefore, if your vet cannot reassess this for you, then a second opinion locally may be the safest option. Otherwise, you can try some further treatments here. First, if that antibiotic injection (most are only effective for 24-48 hours) wasn't followed with oral tablets, we may need to ring about having those dispensed to continue fighting any infection here. And I would say that even if they used Convenia (a long acting antibiotic that lasts 2 weeks), this lack of improvement may be telling us that the bacteria present aren't sensitive to this and an alternative oral course would be advisable.

Furthermore, if the Clorexyderm is stinging his face, then you can dilute it further before use or use salt water (1tbsp per pint warm water). Afterwards, if the wound isn't draining pus or smells like infection, you can also apply a small amount of OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray. This will reduce inflammation, discomfort, and swelling and a small dose should not interfere with the Metacam (our pain relief).

Finally, if you have not already, your wee one needs to be wearing a buster collar/e-collar. This is because any rubbing or scratching will introduce further infection and prevent healing. So, just in case you've not had one on, it would be advisable to do so if we have a wound struggling to heal.

Overall, I am concerned to hear that the wound sounds worse since treatment was started. This raises concerns of infection not being adequately managed +/- the pain relief not being enough if he is uncomfortable. So, we'd want to make the above adjustments. Though if his vet isn't being attentive, then a second opinion would be safest. And that way we can make sure we are treating the suspect infection effectively and as well you can request further pain relief (ie Tramadol, Buprenorphine, etc) to help keep him comfortable as we get this healing.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )