Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I am adopting an 8 week old westie in a few weeks. My

I am adopting an 8 week old westie in a few weeks.
My situation is that I live in a ground floor flat and I have a major worry.
Yesterday I noticed that the council sprayed pesticide on the community lawn just outside my flat.
Now, as I intend to house train my puppy by taking him outside every 1-2hours, I'm paranoid he may ingest some of the
pesticide and get ill or worse.
Should I muzzle him at such a young age, or are there any there other precautions I should take?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Most pet friendly living spaces are aware there will be pets on the lawn. Therefore, products normally used are not harmful, once they dry. They are usually only an issue if the dog drinks directly from the container of product. My best recommendation would be touch base with your property manager, and the pest control company to find out if the products used are pet friendly.

You should not muzzle him at this young age. That would be confusing and not aid in comfortable and healthy house training (which is tough enough!).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.