Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My ESS I believe is in labour - although it's 4 days early.

Hi, my ESS I believe is in labour - although it's 4 days early. She didn't eat at all yesterday and was very restless. She started in what I think is labour about 10pm last night, has been sick twice, very restless and continually panting. This was how our other girl was when she was in labour and pups were all born by about 4hrs later - she was always 3or 4 days early. We are now at 5am and no sign of pups. She is also huge - far bigger than our other girl got. She's gone quite quiet and is still panting & restless, but is happy to walk about. How long should I leave it before calling the vet??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Has Polly had any contractions that you have seen?

Any discharge from her vulva?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some ambeotic fluid by the smell - no real signs of pushing but w never saw that in jazz so not sure
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Polly is definitely getting close to having her puppies. Usually the lack of appetite and vomiting indicate that she will go into labour within 24 hours. Since she did not eat yesterday, I would agree with you that she should be going into labour today. Most of the time you will see a grayish sac appearing from her vulva area up to 1 hour before she will start having puppies. She may open up this sac on her own causing quite a bit of fluid to leak out. If you have not seen this yet, then she still may not be ready to start having contractions. Once her water sac has been opened you will then begin to see contractions, sometimes right away, sometimes an hour later. Some females will have intense contractions while other will only have mild ones (most likely what Jazz experienced). If Polly has intense contractions for an hour and/or it has been longer then an hour since the water sac has emptied without any puppies then I would recommend calling your vet to potentially have her seen. Overall, I do think that she is about to have her puppies though she does not sound like she is in any danger yet.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions. Thank you and Best wishes with your new puppies!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great - thanks for the advice - just a small hours of the morning panic from me!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome! I'm sure Polly appreciates your dedication. Hope you get some rest soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to let you know Polly had 8 lovely pups yesterday afternoon ­čśÇ­čść