Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Came home to find my sons dog (a beagle - female, 4 years

Came home to find my sons dog (a beagle - female, 4 years old) has eaten an entire packet of Pedigree Chewy Cubes, 7 small Dentastix, 20 Schmackos and 8 Rodeo Twists.
My son and I are visiting friends who have an 18-month old cocker spaniel - she may have eaten some of the above snacks but we are not sure.
Her stomach is quite swollen and hard - we are miles away from access to a vet.
Can you give us some advice please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bruce. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Do you feel that she's stressed at this time? Is she acting uncomfortable? Is she breathing normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is currently taking her for a short walk around the block. Her breathing seems ok and she is wagging her tail, but she does look a bit uncomfortable.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Alright. That is good that she's comfortable. This doesn't surprise me that a beagle would do this. For the most part, this sounds like a food bloat - eating enough to fill up the stomach to maybe cause some slight discomfort. At my ER, if one comes in, I typically don't do anything for them as they should be able to digest the food and pass it on their own. If they were to start to vomit with no material being brought up or get very uncomfortable, then it could have turned into something more serious. Just eating more treats / food than normal may in some cause some diarrhea, but for the most part they will digest and pass it. I don't like to induce vomiting as there is the small chance of aspiration and this is less than other possible issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. We will monitor her, but it is good to know that you do not consider it anything too serious. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm hoping for the best for this girl! Hopefully she stays out of trouble in the future!