How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20547
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now

My 25 pound mini Aussie just swallowed a small gel nail

Resolved Question:

My 25 pound mini Aussie just swallowed a small gel nail whole that fell on the floor without chewing it. The gel nail was put on my second finger 3 weeks ago and just came off. Is this dangerous?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. You have no worries in terms of toxicity and the chances are that this size of object will just pass along the digestive tract of a dog of that size without causing any significant problem. If you want to just to sit things out then it would be an idea to feed your dog a couple of slices of bread or some mashed potato ASAP in the hope that this will form round the nail extension and reduce the chances of it irritating the digestive tract as it passes along.

2. As I said the chances are that this object will just pass along your dog's digestive tract but if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the nail extension that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

3. However there are no guarantees and very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems where dogs have swallowed objects they should not have. You would be therefore wise to monitor your Aussie for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. { This would be unlikely in your case }

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott