nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Border Terrier with seasonal skin allergy.....bald patches

Border Terrier with seasonal skin allergy.....bald patches with itchy flaky skin.
Best remedy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the best treatment for seasonal allergies would be to have your wee one on a prescription immune modulating treatment like Apoquel or Atopica. As well, it can be beneficial to have allergy testing done so that an immune vaccine can be made against that seasonal allergen and prevent his skin reacting this time of year. Because if we use these, we can block the irritation and thus prevent him developing bald patches and flaky skin changes.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** management for mild cases, there are some options that can be of benefit. First, you can try him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton (Chlorphenamine). A low dose of 4 milligrams every 8 hours can just be enough to reduce irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like it can in people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Further to this, we do find emollient shampoos (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones) to be soothing for irritated dry, flaky skin. And if we have flaking, then the use of oral essential fatty acids (ie Yumega, Viacutin, omega3 fish oils) beneficial in helping improve general skin and coat quality. So, we can use all of the above in combination to help keep our allergy dogs comfortable through the warmer months.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )