nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 14yr old lab/collie cross, has been having extreme excess

Customer Question

My 14yr old lab/collie cross, has been having extreme excess saliva for about 5 days, then she was vomiting Saturday, I took her to the vet on Sunday as an emergency call out as her eyes were seeming to be rolling back in her head, the vet said she had not had a stroke, she gave her anti-sickness and antibiotic shot but she did have temperature, took bloods which all came back ok. She ate minimal chicken last night, but is still coughing/retching and brining up water. She went back to vet yesterday and gave her more antibiotics, and said there is nothing in her throat. Today she is salivating more than ever, her front chest is soaked, and she wouldn't eat breakfast. I'm worried they have missed something. Lungworm, poisoning etc, would these show up in bloods to check kidneys, liver etc?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What treatments has been started on? How many hours ago was the anti-sickness jab?

Did they do any other tests besides bloods? How did they confirm there was nothing in her throat?

Was her mouth checked for any dental issues, blisters, foreign bodies, sores, wounds, or growths?

Can she keep any food or water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her jab was on Sunday afternoon, she only had antibiotic jabs, not been given any tablets, I assume this is in case she is brings them back up.
They didnt specify what bloods they tested but phoned to say an hour after taking the bloods, that her liver and kidney function was ok and nothing to worry about
Yesterday they looked in her throat by hand and sight, they said her gums and teeth were really healthy for her age.She brought water up last night, bus has had water and kept it down, she kept down a bit of chicken last night but wouldn't eat this morning. The vet felt around her belly and listened to her heart and chest.No to those options unless on a walk she had grass that was sprayed or bitten by an adder or something.She is normally quite bright, enjoys food, and generally well, doesn't drool at all, but this excessive saliva and rattly cough is very unlike her.
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

First, we can see excessively drooling for a range of reasons. It can be seen with oral discomfort (secondary to dental issues, ulcers, tumors, things caught in the roof of the mouth, etc), salivary gland issues (less likely if they aren't swollen), throat obstruction (less likely if she can keep some food down), but also related to nausea. In Lady's case, it is nausea that is our main suspect since she has also had appetite loss and vomiting. And this can be triggered by gut infections, pancreatitis, IBD, cancer, metabolic issues, and even dietary indiscretions (thankfully less likely for her). Though I would just note that if she is rattly as well, we may have saliva aspiration and a secondary pneumonia starting too.

Now its good that her bloods were normal, but I do have to warn you that anti-nausea medication only lasts up to 24 hours. So, if she last had this Sunday, there won't be any anti-nausea medication in her system. So, we'd really need her vet retreating at this point (perhaps even using a stronger option) +/- dispensing an oral form for you to give. Or at the very least, we could try OTC Zantac/Ranitidine (2mg per kilogram every 12 hours) to reduce nausea and thus the drooling. Though if you did use any of these over the next 24 hours and she wasn't settling, then an xray of her throat, stomach, and intestines would be best. That way we can ensure nothing is caught (since we can only feel and look so far down the throat) and also that there are no masses, enlarged organs or thickening of any of these organs for her.

Overall, we can see drooling like this for a number of reasons. Its good that her mouth has been checked and organ failure ruled out; but it sounds like Lady is very nauseous and this isn't being addressed for her. So, we'd want her local vet to do so at this point. And once she is more settled, we'd want to see if we can get her eating (you can also offer rice with boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg), else we may need an xray +/- have her vet start fluids and appetite stimulants to support her as they pinpoint which issue is triggering this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** just been home to check on her and she is a bit shaky on her legs, maybe lack of food and tiredness but she isn't improving so I think I will call them again and get her seen. Many Thanks
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If she hasn't been able to eat properly at her age, then that will certainly take a toll on Lady and cause her to be weak and shaky. So, we'd want to address this for her as quickly as we can for her. As well, once she is more settled and if we can get a bit of food into her, then we could use a calorie rich diet (ie Royal Canin Recovery, Hill's A/D, or even canned puppy food) or liquid diet like Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet) to just get some more nutrients into her and get her more steady sooner.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.