Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

10 month old pitbull pup had lameness in s right nd leg like

10 month old pitbull pup had lameness in his right hind leg like he would toe touch 2 days ago. Now still slightly limping but definitely putting full weight on it. And is acting like a normal puppy. Would I be right to think it is probably jus a muscle strain or a soft tissue injury possibly?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any swelling?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. No swelling whatsoever.2. It started two days ago as stated previously. When I first noticed him lame he was barely putting weight on it like toe touching. And it's been getting better everyday as of now he puts full weight on it but still favors it a little.3. 60lbs4. No medications

Friend, as you have suspected what you are describing is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. This is what you can try:

1- Rest him for the next couple of weeks. No running or jumping even if he is not lame. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

2- Buffered aspirin 325mg every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- If no improvement within 2-3 days I would have him checked by family vet for an orthopedic examination and xrays.

Note: Sorry for the delay in response had some technical issues at this end.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No worries in the delay. Jus worried about the little guy or the little big guy rather! Anyways as stated above he is improving everyday jus seems to favor it still. I would assume if it was a ccl tear he would get progressively worse and not want to put full weight on it? Or there would be swelling? I wouldn't give him aspirin jus because I know he has a sensitive stomach and I don't want him getting sick. I gave him one of those pedigree busy bones and he was down for a whole day with gastrointetitis. So I jus don't w***** *****ce it and have another problem on top of this one.

Buffered aspirin tends to be gentle on the stomach when compared to regular aspirin, this is why I recommended buffered and not regular. But, if he has a sensitive stomach just rest him as described above.

If the CCL was completely torn the lameness would not improve. But, if it is just injured the lameness will improve. For this reason I recommended to rest him for a couple of weeks even if he is not lame. You see, soft tissue injury take weeks to completely heal. So, the patient may appear to be better but re-injure themselves if they put a lot of pressure on the tissue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see and I would say it's safe to assume swelling would accompany a full ccl tear? Is it common that young dogs pull muscles and get soft tissue injuries? And he is much better then he was 2 days ago already and trying to run around like a mad man again but you can tell he's still favoring the one leg. So looks like I'm goin to have my hands full tryin to contain a 10 month old puppy and stop him from running and jumping for the next couple weeks!

No actually, when there is a full CCL tear not always do we see swelling in the joint from the outside. Meaning, if you are only looking at the joint it may appear normal, though there is some inflammation within the joint. The fact that he has improved in 2 days I feel comfortable in saying he does not have a complete acl tear.

It will be difficult restraining a 10 month old puppy I know, but, do your best.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much doctor speaking with you has given me a lot more confidence and eased a lot of worry.

I am glad I was here to help.

You're welcome. :)