nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12 year old has lost her balance and struggling to walk

Customer Question

My 12 year old ***** ***** has lost her balance and struggling to walk in a straight line. Her head is twitching constantly and her eyes are going from side to side in her head. It happened last weekend for the 1st time and our vets did all the general checks with no findings so gave her a shot of diazepam to relax her and it eventually pasted and she's been fine all week. Just got back from her daily morning walk and it's happened again. I have given her another shot of the rectal diazepam to relax her and again its subsiding. She is very distressed by this experience and the fact this is the 2nd now, a week apart. Do you think it could be a brain tumour. She is well, eating drinking and not lost weight though. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Daisy.

Her signs do raise a few concerns. Specifically, we could see this related to middle ear issues (ie infection, inflammation, polyps, masses, etc), vestibular disease (common in old dogs and can come/go without warning), but also brain based issues. In regards ***** ***** we could see this with a brain bleed, swelling, or tumor as you have asked.

Since Daisy's signs have relapsed, we may need to have her vet look into this further. If middle ear issues were a concern with their examination, an xray can help check for these. Otherwise, if a brain based issue is suspect, an MRI or CT would be best to see what is there so that we can treat it for her. Though as that can be quite an invasive and costly option, we could also consider symptomatic care. Further to Diazepam, you can speak to her vet about using steroids to reduce any inflammation in the brain (on its own or that related to any mass). As well, there are medications (ie Vivitonin) that can be of benefit for vestibular issues in dogs. And we can find anti-oxidants to also help with brain related issues, so supplements like Aktivait could be started here.

Overall, a brain tumor is a concern for the signs you have reported. Though as she does respond to treatment, we do have those other above concerns. So, it may be worth ringing her vet once they are open to discuss these other options to ensure we can do the best we can for wee Daisy.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )