Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have an English Pointer who will be 3 in September, male

Hi, I have an English Pointer who will be 3 in September, male un neutered. He is very active runs for miles across countryside hunting deer etc has amazing recall. He is a very sweet natured polite and loving dog. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a lump under his jaw about the size of a marble. It feels very hard and round. My vet gave him antibiotic and anti imflamitory for a week. There is no change, the lump is the same and he is 100% in himself! eating drinking running etc. he shows no other signs of illness. Do you know what this lump could be please and put my mind at rest. I really don't want him to have any invasive tests unless absolutely necessary. Thank you Emma.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello Emma,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Alfie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

However, since he is young and the lump is not painful, it is proba There is no way to know what any lump is, just by looking at it and feeling it. It could be a "foreign body", a thorn or something that got under his skin and the body is making a wall around it. It could be a blocked saliva duct. Cancer in a dog this young is rare, but possible.

The best way to tell what any lump is would be to do FNA, fine needle aspiration. This is not really invasive, does not usually bother the dog at all. We take a small sharp hollow needle and poke into the lump (most dogs let us do this with no sedation or restraint, and it takes only a few seconds), and then look at what what was obtained from inside the lump under a microscope. This will usually tell us if this is an infection, a blocked saliva gland, a benign cyst, etc. and then knowing what it is will tell us the best treatment. Treatment might even be just leaving it alone, but you need to know what it is first.

Does this make sense? Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca, thank you I feel a bit happier now.
Thank you for you swift response.
I have added a picture taken a couple of weeks ago. It's seems to move about a bit and depending what position he is in sometimes is more pronounced than others.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Thank you for the picture. If this were my own dog, I would do an FNA and find out what this is.

In that part of his neck, it could be an enlarged lymph node, and should get better with time, but I would want to know for sure and FNA is where I would start.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Rebecca, I will suggest this to my vet on our visit next week. She mentioned at CT scan but this sounds upsetting for Alfie and I would like the needle test done first.
Kindest regards, Emma.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find out. Thanks for the great rating.