nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is being sick and slightly foaming at the mouth. She

My dog is being sick and slightly foaming at the mouth. She also seems unable to pass a stool although she has been trying. This only just started a short time ago and I am a bit worried as she doesn't want to drink any water either.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs? How many hours since she last pass stool?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
signs just started a few hours ago. Her last stool was this morning and looked normal.
Her gums look pale but slimy rather than sticky.
She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort when you press her belly, she just lies there looking at you. She seems to be very agitated and not her usual self. Yes its possible she could have eaten something in the garden but not sure what.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Would you say her gums are paler then usual for her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
definitely.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Oh dear,

First, I have to say that if her gums are paler, then we'd be concerned that we have a blockage or something possible cutting off circulation as it normal. It can also be a sign of internal bleeding. So, if she has noticeably paler gums plus is showing sudden non-productive straining, I would be worried that we have a serious issue compromising the gut here and it would be ideal to have her seen urgently.

Otherwise, if they weren't noticeably paler, we could try an OTC antacid (ie Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) and help get things moving in her gut using treatments like cow's milk, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) or a GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, Liquid Paraffin, Miralax (1 tsp pe r 24 hours), etc) . These can all get feces moving and stool passing for our dogs.

Still, if she is pale with these signs, then a blockage is a real worry and I would suggest having her seen now. Just in case you were keen to have your wee one seen today, some vet practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, they will see you. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find a local one via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, there are options to see a vet locally today too.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )