nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Have a yorkie poo pup 9 weeks old, we've had her a week,

Have a young yorkie poo pup 9 weeks old, we've had her a week, seems to have occasional spots of blood/mucus in her stool, should we worry or need to do anything?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

We'd not be panicked here for Tilly, but we do need to keep an eye on these occasional blood spots. This is because they can be a subtle sign of worms, low grade protozoal infections (ie coccidia, giardia, etc), or inflammatory colitis due to irritation of the lower bowel if she has been eating anything she should not have.

With this all in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care for her. First, if she hasn't been wormed in the past month, it is advisable to do so now. Ideally we'd want to use Panacur (fenbendazole) to counter worms but also some of the protozoal concerns. As well, to ensure her good gut bacteria are at optimum, you can consider using a dog safe OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Protexin Enterogenic, etc). Your vet can dispense both of these for her.

As well, if you see her strain to pass feces, you can try adding a small dose of cat hair ball treatment to help her pass them without straining.

Finally, if these signs linger, we'd want to consider submitting a stool sample to her local vet for analysis. This can be checked for the above concerns and any pathogenic bacteria. Based on those results, her vet can advise you what may be present and start treatment to clear those findings for Tilly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )