Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a hard black lump on their neck

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does the lump seem to bother him?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the lump and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached a photo and yes it seems to bother him like a pain in the neck
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information and picture. It looks like the area is infected. It is difficult to tell from the picture, but that black area could be an infected cyst. The picture is a little blurry, though, and difficult to tell if it is all underneath the skin or a raised mass. If it is a raised mass that is firm and feels solid, I would be concerned about a tumor of some sort, such as a melanoma. Due to the inflammation around the area, though, it really looks infected. If the skin is just black and a little crusty there, it could be some necrotic skin due to a spider bite. I would have your vet check this out because it may need to be cleaned up or even debrided if necrotic. At the very least, he probablyl needs some antibiotics. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will take him to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.