nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I've had my 1st puppy days now she is 10 weeks and has had

I've had my 1st puppy for 4 days now she is 10 weeks and has had her 1st vaccination at 8 weeks. She has been socialising with my partners dog and been outside running around the garden.
I am now worried as been told and have read up that I shouldn't be letting her out in the garden or socialising at all as she can become ill.
How will this affect her should I get her seen by a vet asap. She is booked in in a weeks time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now these are always tricky situations. This is because we want to keep them safe but at the same time the first 12 weeks of life are critical for socialization and truly shape the dog they will become. Therefore, we really need to strike a balance between both of these objectives. Therefore, as long as your partner's dog is fully vaccinated and healthy, we'd not be overly worried since they'd be a low risk. It is dogs with an unknown vaccine history and health statuses that she needs to absolutely be kept away from.

Furthermore, the same goes for gardens, parks, and areas other dogs with an unknown risk have been. So, as long as your yard hasn't hosted strange dogs (or foxes) in the past few months, this would also be a low risk situation. Though if you aren't sure about foxes in your yard, we'd want to restrict her access to the garden (even more so then your partner's dog) at this point.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** upcoming vet visit, if she is currently unwell then we'd want her seem urgently. Otherwise, if she is well, then we'd just want to keep an eye and plan to have her seen in that week's time as planned.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )