Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

Am looking after 12 yr old border collie . Got m last

Am looking after 12 yr old border collie for neighbour. Got him last Tuesday - he had some diarrhoea. On Wednesday pm he snatched 1 chicken drumstick, chewed it up and swallowed it - I couldn't get it off him. Since then he still has little pools of diarrhoea and hasn't produced anything solid while with us. Seems to go out to toilet a lot but only small quantities being produced. My daughter takes him for walks in park so don't know if he's pooed normally there and we don't want to tell her unless necessary cos it's her friends! The dog is behaving, eating and drinking normally. No vomiting or blood in stools which are palish brown and watery. Haven't seen any bones in the poo.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your neighbour's Collie you are currently looking after. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It sounds like this boy is definitely only passing very small feces and quite a bit of liquid. There are a few possible causes for this including anything from colitis due to stress (not having his owner around), to an infectious issue, or of course a potential foreign body due to the drumstick he ingested a while back. If this was a foreign body issue, then I would have expected him to have some vomiting, or to at least be off his food right now, and that doesn't sound like it is the case thankfully.

Hopefully his owner has him up to date with his deworming treatments, but it would definitely be worth checking in with them to ensure that is the case, and if it isn't, then you will be able to get an appropriate allwormer from your local veterinary surgery. For now, I would recommend changing this boy over to a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for 2 - 3 days. This bland diet may be enough to settle down any mild gastroenteritis he may have developed here. Also make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and do encourage him to drink. Make sure you and your family aren't giving him any other human treats, as this could also be a potential cause for his issues.

As far as the bone goes, good work giving him the roll. Hopefully that was enough to cover any sharp shards of bone that could have caused an issue on their way through. If he starts vomiting, passing blood or goes off food, then you will need to get him down to his regular vet for a full check up and possibly xrays to rule out a gastrointestinal obstruction or potential perforation. Again this is less likely as you haven't seen any of the symptoms that would indicate this, but definitely keep this in mind.

Best of luck with this boy and hopefully he is producing nice firm stools very soon. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok here's hoping he's ok. We did wonder whether we should take him to our vet tomorrow cos shut today if vets are able to feel any potential blockage. Perhaps you could advise? His owners are extremely fussy over him so I'm sure he'll be up to date with routine meds etc. We just didn't want him having ripped up guts or something similar! If a dog has a blockage is it possible for diarrhoea to come out?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Usually if there is a complete gastrointestinal obstruction, then while there could be diarrhoea for the first day or two, generally it would stop. We would usually see vomiting and inappetance with a complete obstruction as well. So I think a complete GI obstruction is very unlikely, however we can't rule out a partial obstruction, or just inflammed bowel from the sharp pieces of bone that passed through.

Given his owners are pretty fussy over him, I have no doubt they would appreciate it and be very thankful if you played it safe and had him checked by your local vet (his regular vet if possible). It is likely there is no obstruction here (he doesn't have the right symptoms for it), but at least if you play it safe and have him checked over, it will give everyone peace of mind here.

So I agree - getting him checked over briefly tomorrow would certainly be the best way forward here.

All the best,

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok many thanks. I feel a bit happier now!
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Serry. This is very interesting and it is definitely unusual for this sort of reaction with Metronidazole, and particularly for it to only be at the pm dose. I would be tempted to think this reaction could potentially be due to the bitter taste of the tablet. If Serry is getting the tablet with different food at night, or if someone different is giving it, then this is even more likely. The nature of medication means it is a bitter tablet and if he is having trouble swallowing it at the pm dose, then this would cause frothing and gagging to a degree (potentially what you are seeing that almost looks like a respiratory response). If you haven't been giving it with food in the morning or evening, then you can certainly start doing so now.

In the evening, it could be worth trying to hide the tablet in some wet dog food, or even with a small piece of burger or sausage. Assessing his response after this approach would be interesting to see. Hopefully he improves in the evenings with this approach. Also encourage him to drink plenty of water in the evening after giving him his tablet.

If this seem to be unchanged whether you give it with food or not, then this could potentially be a drug reaction. This is unlikely given he is fine when he gets the same dose in the morning, but we need to consider it all the same. If he ever seems distressed with his breathing before or after having a tablet, then you are best to get him seen by your local vet straight away.

Hopefully giving the tablets in tandem with some wet dog food or a small piece of meat is enough to remove the bitter effects of the tablet and put an end to the salivation and gagging you are seeing here. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Sorry! Please ignore the message above that was meant for another owner.

Kind Regards,

Dr E