Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a 7 yo doberman that injured her front left paw

I have a 7 yo doberman that injured her front left paw whilst on a walk yesterday. Initially, I wasn't concerned as she was still walking normally and there was no obvious injuries other than a slight limp. After 24 hours of rest the paw has swollen to almost twice the size and is now cold.
Should we continue with the rest, immobilise the paw and continue to monitor this or shall I have her taken fora full assessment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Doberman's injury and that the paw is swollen and now cold. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The paw being cold really worries me. There could be reduced circulation of blood to that paw, and that could be dangerous. I would continue to rest her and limit her activity, but I wold not wrap the paw or put a splint on it. It should be checked out as soon as you can get her to a veterinarian. Can she feel her foot? Will she put any weight on it at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will put weight on it, but has a very prenounced limp. She can feel the foot as she will snatch it away if I attempt to look at it. The cold feel is from the ankle right through to her paw/pad
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am glad she can feel the foot, but worried about it being cold. I hope you can get her checked out soon; please let me know what you learn. Thanks for the good rating.