Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Ya my dog has pulled s shoulder and I want to know if its

Customer Question

Hiya my dog has pulled his shoulder and I want to know if its safe to give him either tramadol or cocodamol until we can get to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What does he weigh? It is safe to use these drugs but I need his weight to give you a safe dosage. I would probably chose tramadol first. Paracetamol (in cocodamol) is safe for a few doses, but long term can cause liver disease.

Do you have any aspirin? Aspirin with tramadol (if he is eating and not vomiting) would be what I would use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a rather large 44kg labrador. Don't have any asprin in the house just tramadol or cocodamol. Only want something I can use tonight before the vets is open tomorrow and I get some rimadyl for him (he is a crazy labrador) so regularly pulls things!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You can give 2 tramadol every 8 hours. If it makes him too drowsy, give 1 every 8 hours.

I think that would be safer than the cocodamol (paracetamol/codeine); codeine can have unpredictable effects in dogs. The rimadly with tramadol is a great combination when you can get the rimadyl.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other of your questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh god sorry should have mentioned he takes piriton 3 times a day for allergies is he still ok with tramadol?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that would be safe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brilliant thank you for your help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Good you thought to ask, though!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome! Thanks for the great rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no probs thanks for such a fast response :)
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome!