Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849
Dog

My dog has become very restless as if in pain. He won't

settle down keep moving about... Show More
settle down keep moving about up and down, changing position. He's breathing heavy but not panting. He's had his usual evening walk.
Category: Dog
Show Less
replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Bamse is not feeling well. Is there any chance he ingested something on his walk he shouldn't have? Is his abdomen swollen at all? Has he attempted to vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
I did catch him munch on something while out walking but couldn't get it off him so no idea what it could be. Abdomen not swollen and no attempts to vomit. Thanks
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago.

So with this behavior there is definitely concern he ingested something that is causing his symptoms. Are his pupils responding to light and constricting? Does he seem agitated?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
He's definitely agitated. He's responding to light.

Whether it be a plant, toxin, or illicit medication or drug this is still concerning. I am hesitant to make any recommendations tonight in concern that it might aggravate the situation. How long have the symptoms been ongoing now? Are they progressing or subsiding at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
It's been going for the last hour but have subsided a tiny bit in last few minutes. Still breathing slightly fast.

Please offer some water (in moderation) and if you are able to get another walk in around your area that might help this subside faster.

If the symptoms are not resolving or progress again please consider a veterinary er and regardless I would have your veterinarian evaluate him and run some basic bloodwork in the morning to ensure that whatever was ingested was not toxic to his system. A small meal of white rice and lean boiled meat can also be helpful, even though there is every indication that whatever it was has already been metabolized it will help things along a bit tonight as well

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Well monitor him and probably take him to a vet in the morning.

Perfect, good luck tonight. I hope that he is able to get comfortable soon