Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been scratching at something at s undercarriage.

Hi there
My dog has been scratching at something at his undercarriage. It is really bothering him and has been for a couple of weeks. I did a flea treatment about 10 days ago thinking that was the problem but I am now worried it might be a tick or....?
Here is a photo:
https:[email protected]/27573880231/
Can you advise please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the excellent photo of an epidermal collarette. These are roughly circular skin lesions most often indicative of a Staph infection of the skin (pyoderma). They start out as pustules and then spread out in a circular manner. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments (as shown) but the rim can stay actively infected and inflamed. This is addressed with a prescription systemic antibiotic such as one in the cephalosporin class (cephalexin, e.g.) dosed for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten remission. These shampoos can be found over the counter in your local feed/agricultural merchant store, online, or at Bandha's vet hospital.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. A few months ago, he had a recurrent lip fold pyoderma that finally went away after about 4 long courses of antibiotics. He also lost 3 kilos (I'm now giving him power plus supplement). I am worried that all of this could indicate pamphigus. What do you think? He seems well in himself.... Thank you

Sunlight and chronic allergic dermatitis might trigger some cases of pemphigus. I'm not aware of pyoderma being a trigger, however.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.