Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 5year old Collie X who is normally fit and well.

Hi I have a 5year old Collie X who is normally fit and well.He's not off his food but on taking him for a walk yesterday he wasn't particularly interested in running like normal. Over the past 24hrs he's also had significant drooling whereas he never normally drools at all.His toilet function, drinking and eating are all normal and he'd have to be dead not to want his ball but he just seems quiet and drooling.ThanksDan
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dan. I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog; the picture you sent certainly demonstrates the problem he's having, doesn't it...at least as far as the drooling goes!

In general, there could be a number of different reasons why a dog might excessively salivate:

1. An infected tooth or infection in the mouth or a foreign body or ulcers. Sometimes a quick peek in the mouth will reveal the problem but typically sedation is required for a more thorough exam.

2. Another possible explanation is mild underlying nausea even though the patient isn't actively vomiting. Some dogs with IBD or other systemic disease will excessively salivate although the former is often difficult to diagnose without a biopsy and the latter would require bloodwork.

3. Pain although usually there are other symptoms such as lameness or lethargy or disinterest in food.

4. Idiopathic which means we can't find an underlying cause. Many of these patients will stop salivating after a day or so and we're none the wiser as to why they started in the first place.

5. Eating or tasting something noxious such as a plant or chemicals although these patients will typically only salivate for a relatively short period of time.

It might be helpful to take his temperature if you could to see if he's running a fever; normal is between 100 and 102.5. If it's high, then a vet visit might be prudent.

Otherwise, you could give him over the counter Omeprazole (aka Prilosec here in the States) at a dose of 1/2 mg per pound of body weight once a day. Another option would be Ranintidine (Zantac) at a dose of 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. These drugs may help with nausea.

Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl here in the States) can help to dry up secretions although I'm hesitant to suggest its use. Sedation is often a side effect and with him already being a little quiet, you won't know if his condition is worsening or if he's just having a drug reaction.

Unless he's running a fever and/or he worsens, then I might continue to monitor him for today but plan to have him seen tomorrow if he's still drooling.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much I know it a cliche but he really is my world and its so sad when he's not feeling himself as he really is a dog that lights up the room!He's only wanted to play ball for a few minutes before running to bed, I'll keep an eye on him and book him in tomorrow if still poorly.Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back but you're more than welcome. I also wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I don't think it's a cliche at all since I've had a "heart" dog who meant the world to me. I've loved each and every one of the dogs I've ever had the pleasure to share my life with but if you're really, really lucky, there will be one with whom you bond more closely and who is part of your soul.

It sounds as if there may be something going on with him if he's a little lethargic but a vet visit tomorrow is a sound plan if he's not back to normal then.

Best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb