Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Got six greyhounds in kennel. All I'll. Had one taken to

Customer Question

Got six greyhounds in kennel. All I'll . Had one taken to vets for full blood checks nothing found
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got 6 greyhounds in kennel. One recent addition. They all became ill and lost a second in races. Symptoms cramp lethargic red eyes baldness vomiting. The new arrival has been to vets and the bloods checked it seems ok. It came from Ireland and the sellers kennel are ill. They have had linconsin. They got white spots near tonsils. Eyes are pussy and weeping. At the same time the new bitch I put 12 caged canarys in the kennel. Nothing seems to make them better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the canarys have gave them something. Could the new bitch be a carrier. What do you think they got.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dean, it's reasonable to assume that the new addition brought an infectious agent into your kennel. The white spots near the tonsils need to be cultured in order to determine which, if any, pathogenic bacteria are present and, if so, which antibiotic is the best to address it. Lincosin doesn't have good efficacy against gram negative bacteria. A viral agent is possible as well but we don't culture for them. Instead, Blue's vet can perform a PCR canine respiratory disease panel which can detect the presence of canine respiratory coronavirus, canine adenovirus type 2, canine parainfluenza virus, canine herpesvirus type 1, canine influenza virus, canine distemper virus, and the bacteria Bordetella bronchiseptica. PCR testing is DNA-based; it's pricey but very sensitive.

No, I don't believe we should incriminate the canaries as carriers of disease to your dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue weeping out of both eyes he not dehydrated but drinking lots of water

It would be prudent to instill a broad spectrum antibiotic ophthalmic ointment into those eyes thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days. Terramycin would be a good choice: https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Marketing-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Ointment/dp/B00063KGUK You might find it in a local pet/agricultural merchant as well.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.