Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 year old spaniel has had a bad week starting with

Hello, my 12 year old spaniel bitch has had a bad week starting with vomiting on Saturday night, eating a lot of grass, followed up with quantities of very sloppy poo. She saw the vet on Monday and Tuesday who has given her Tagamet and Maalax. Over these few days and nights she has constantly needed the garden to produce small amounts of liquid diarrhoea. This has now stopped and this morning (Friday) she produced s tiny sloppy stool. I should say she is eating reasonable amounts of Royal Canine Sensitivity diet and drinking. She is reluctant to exercise much which would be a good way to get her to produce something. My vet this morning says it sometimes takes a longer than the normal 24hours for the gut to settle over a period of disturbance and not to worry but because it is Friday I do worry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any testing like xrays or blood work?

2- Is there mucus (jelly like) in the stool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Neither
2. There was a little but no blood. Today's was quite yellow. The past few days when really liquid it was dark brown. Once or twice there was a little pinkish jelly, but not today.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when there is blood and mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon, she has colitis. The vomiting is a consequence of the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Request from your family veterinarian a medication called Metronidazole, this is an antibiotic and will help with the loose stool and inflammation in the intestines.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her re-checked by your family veterinarian for xrays and blood work as initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your speedy reply. Initially she had an injection called Cyrenia (?) in the uk which is an antiemetic along with the Tagamet and maalox. She is not vomiting at the moment and as I said she is eating and drinking but not yet passing a good stool which I would have thought she might by now on the assumption that food takes 24 hours to pass through a dog end to end. This is what I am more concerned with at this stage.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

The metronidazole, fasting, probiotics and rice with meat diet will treat the inflammation which should make her stool better.

You're welcome.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. My dog has at last produced something that resembles a normal stool in shape if not yet in consistency. It does contain some grass however, and her tummy is quite noisy. On the plus side she is drinking and eating and obviously hungry although I M still keeping her diet bland and very slowly reintroducing normal diet and amounts. She had me up at 5 am to eat grass but wasn't sick after it. Why would she still feel the need to eat grass? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

It is common when dogs are having gastrointestinal issues to eat grass. Do not let her eat grass, she may vomit.