nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My two dogs have just eaten 1/2 lb of milk chocolates.

My two dogs have just eaten 1/2 lb of milk chocolates. What's my best course of action.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did they eat this?

How much do their each weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bullmastiff weighs 57kg & the labrador weighs 30kg They eat them about an hour ago
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Would you say they each had about half of what is missing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably the bullmastiff had more
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Good news!

If they are both this large and each had ~50% of that chocolate, then we'd not actually have enough to cause more then gut upset. Therefore, we do have a few options. You could induce vomiting or treat with activated charcoal here if you wished to do so (and I am happy to outline how), but these aren't really necessary since it will be a low dose for both (and even more so if the larger dog has had more).

Therefore, we only really need to monitor and address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if they have any known health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very satisfied
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for you all,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )