Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 3 year old cockapoo ate foxtail grass in the park approx

My 3 year old cockapoo ate foxtail grass in the park approx 2 hours ago and immediately started coughing.
I have given her biscuits and water since bringing her home which she is happily eating but hiccups as soon as she eats
Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Juliet, I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Foxtails kept me in business for 40 years. When ingested, they have the nasty habit of becoming trapped behind the tonsils in the tonsillar crypts which then precipitates a gulping (Betty Boo's hiccuping?) action in my patients. If Betty Boo doesn't normalize within 24 hours, it would be prudent to have her sedated by her vet who then will carefully examine Betty Boo's oropharynx and nasopharynx for foxtails. If unattended to, these foxtails can penetrate those areas and migrate through surrounding tissue eventually forming large abscesses which require surgical intervention and the search for the foxtail within those abscesses.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.