Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

12 month old Golden Retreiver. In past 24 hours - been very

12 month old Golden Retreiver. In past 24 hours - been very hyper (hardly slept) - is not settling in crate - whimpering then barking - had slight diahorrea, is very thirsy and just very very unsettled - never been like this?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not been sick - she did raid our small outside food bin early last evening so may have eaten something in there?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If Ellie is still eating and acting somewhat normal, then this may be due to an unstable disc in her back or neck. This will cause pain and not able to settle down because of the discomfort. For this, aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs will help resolve this. Keep Ellie immobile during this time to stabilize this disc.

There is also a chance that Ellie has a digestive disturbance that is causing this discomfort such as an intestinal obstruction...in this case, she will not want to eat and may vomit along with the diarrhea. If this is the case, take Ellie to your vet right away since if this is left untreated, this could cause even more problems for her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - she has been out running etc, so I doubt its a back/disc issue? She only ate half her food, so it may be an intestinal problem - would that make her very very hyper? When our her crate she is running around up and down the garden and showing loads of energy - despite no sleep for a long period.

I just got your second post. This certainly could be a digestive disturbance or a pancreatitis and the treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Ellie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If this has resolved, then wean Ellie back onto regular food. If the this behavior persists especially during the fast, take your sweet Ellie to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns as I mentioned above.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the digestive issue could make Ellie hyper from not knowing what to do to help herself from this discomfort. Try the Pepcid and fast and see how she does...hopefully, this is all you will need to do to get her back on track.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help.

You are very welcome! I hope Ellie feels better soon!

Please let me know if I can help further....

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Ellie feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!