Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have 8 week old West ghland who arrived last Saturday and

I have 8 week old West highland white who arrived last Saturday and on Sunday started suffering from diorea with bit of blood in motion she was wormed by breeder who is a reputable breeder I have bought from before. She is eating very well and extremely lively. I gave her some Pro- Kaolin + Monday and this morning her motions were firm and no trace of blood. But late this afternoon she started with it again and more bloody mucous. No sign of worms as far as I can see.
What would you suggest I do, ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, congratulations on your new addition! With adoption it is very common for puppies to have gi upset and this can progress to the diarrhea, mucus and blood for what is called a stress enteritis.

I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon) and she is so tiny and can decline very rapidly. This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach
- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools
- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting
- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite even around the home or yard but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi thanks for your swift reply. We have a problem famotadine is no longer available in UK, it was stopped over year ago and was prescription only anyway. Can you suggest anything else. She has wonderful appetite at present and no vomiting. Would loperimide help its for human diarrhea and freely available in UK. Thanks

I apologize for the delay, I am having issues with my internet connection.

Please no loperamide. It can be toxic in certain dogs and at her size it can have significant side effects. What about omeprazole?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thats prescription only but I have prescribed for me Lansoprazole similar I think and I have spares available. Thanks.

OK great. Do you need assistance with the dose? If so how much does your new addition weigh?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have just weighed her and her weight is 1.7 kilos.

Tiny! And what mg do you have?

This is 5 mg/kg daily so it would have to be a small tablet mg since she just needs 5-10 mg...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for delay. 30mg capsules

So that would be challenging to break up as a capsule. Do you think your local pharmacy will have a tablet you could purchase as an alternative? She just needs 1/4 of a tablet

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for that. The capsules are little granules that I could seperate into quarter. We have problem as anything is prescription only and pharmacist are struck but I will speak to them tomorrow. Many thanks. We have ranitadine in house 12.5mg is that any good. I have taken too much of your time and very grateful. You get top marks. Thanks again

No worries, the dose is 1-2 mg/kg of the ranitidine every 8-12 hours so you can quarter the ranitidine and hopefully have the most accurate dosing...good luck to you both. I hope this resolves swiftly!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.