How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 28512
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

My small spaniel just ate a 1000mg starflower capsule. is it

Customer Question

my small spaniel just ate a 1000mg starflower capsule. is it harmful to him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

According to the ASPCA, yes. Here's what the ASPCA has to say:

Borage

Additional Common Names: Starflower

Scientific Name: Borage officinalis

Family: Boraginceae

Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats

Toxic Principles: Tannins, mucilage

Clinical Signs: Vomiting and diarrhea

Tannins and mucilage aren't significant toxins but we have no manner in which to know how 1000 mg would affect your spaniel. I would induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 11 mL (two measuring teaspoon) per kg of body weight. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Related Dog Questions