nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 4 year-old shih tzu. He has previously taken

Hello, I have a 4 year-old shih tzu. He has previously taken Advocate and Drontal for parasitic prevention. Recently, he was changed over to Bravecto and Milbemax. As Bravecto is quite a new medicine with some (probably unfounded) negative reviews, I am reluctant to give him this. A veterinary nurse informed me that Bravecto is the only way to ensure protection against ticks, I am however dubious about how true this is. I am therefore seeking a professional opinion as to what action I should take with my dog. Many thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we do often use Bravecto without any issue at all. Often we do hear some sensitivity reactions in dogs when any new medication comes out, so this is not abnormal for any medication. Though if you are concerned and looking for a treatment that works against ticks and has been around for longer, then you may want to use Advantix for Max. Alternatively, there are 2 new collar preparations -Seresto collars or Scalibor collars - that also can be used against ticks and can be removed if you lad had any reactions or issues with treatment.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's great. Would I need a prescription for Advantix and should I use this medication with anything else for full protection against any ticks, fleas, worm etc? I.e. should Max have Advocate, Drontal and Advantix together? Thanks again.
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome,

You will need your local vet to dispense Advantix or write a prescription if you do purchase online. Though they tend to just need a recent weight (just the same as the Advocate). Otherwise, Advantix will cover for fleas, but we'd want to use either Drontal or Milbemax concurrently to cover any worm concerns.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks so much for your quick reply, just before I close the question, would you be able to tell me whether the combination of Advantix and Drontal would cover lungworm (like Advocate)?
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome,

For lungworm concerns as well, then we'd lean to using the Milbemax over the Drontal. Though we may need to periodically spot treat with the Drontal if we do see any Tapeworms (rice like segments) in his stools.

All the best,

Dr. B.

nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much for all your help, and enjoy the rest of your day.