Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog had a total ear ablation a few days ago and it's now

Customer Question

My dog had a total ear ablation a few days ago and it's now become infected. It smells and he managed to get his buster collar off and scratch it.,I took Jim to the emergency vet who confirmed an infection and have kept him in their hospital. How do they treat an infection and will he have to be put to sleep
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. What can be done in a situation like this is to culture the material that is there from the infected area. This allows the organism there to be identified and to then start up the best combination of antibiotics to treat it. The antibiotics that are used could be a combination of oral and injectable medications. Depending on the degree / depth of the infection, sometimes the area needs to be drained this could entail a second anesthetic procedure to place a drain / debride devitalized tissues. Hopefully in his situation a course of antibiotics and time is all that is needed to get this situation to resolve.