Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 13 year old westie with westie lung who is on

Customer Question

hi i have a 13 year old westie with westie lung who is on sterods and a and a anti weexing tablet and also viagra . He is painting alot which keeps him up through the night but his tail is still wagging so hopefully not in pain so i want to stop the steroids as think this would help what do you think
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I think that's quite risky because pulmonary fibrosis in Westies can be very difficult to manage without a glucocorticosteroid on board. You can, however, reduce the dose and see if that reduces the amount of panting - a common side effect of excessive steroid administration. We generally initiate therapy with prednisone at 2 mg/kg orally daily but as we see improvement we titre the dose down to the lowest effective one. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on 5 mg daily but was on 10 mg daily so should i continue giving him the 5 mg daily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shall i take him down to 2 mg daily well 2.5 so half a tablet

How long has he been on the 5 mg daily? I want to taper that drug slowly over a three week period.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well about 1 month
they gave him 10 mg to start with but less has seemed to make hhim much better and not so lathargic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 mg for 2 weeks then 5 mg for the past month and just said leave him on it but i feel its to much for him with the viagra

After a month's worth of once daily 5 mg, we can drop him to 2.5 mg daily and see how it affects him. You can always back up to a previous dose (5 mg daily) if his breathing worsens. The Viagra works in a different manner than does the steroid. The combination of the two types of drugs should synergize to work better than either one of the drugs alone. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.