nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has westie lung and is on steroids per day also a

Hi my dog has westie lung and is on steroids per day also a anti weexing tablet once a day and -.25 mg of viagr a day as has westie lung , He is 13 and pants alot so want to take him iff the steroids but will this be bad for him
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, it is important to appreciate that his panting is related not just to the steroids but also his lung condition. So, it is quite likely that he will still pant just as much as he is now even off the steroids.

Furthermore, if you do stop those steroids and the other treatments are not enough, then he could have serious respiratory decompensation and this would put him at risk. So, you wouldn't want to wean him off the steroids on your own, else we could end up with Bobby in a precarious position.

Though if you are keen to have him off the steroids, then it would be highly advisable to speak to his vet about alternative treatments. Specifically, you could discuss using Azathioprine or Cyclosphosphamide instead of the steroids or with a lower dose of steroids. As well, depending on what you meant as wheezing medication, you could discuss also using a bronchodilator (ie theophyline) with him.

Overall, we'd not want to just wean off this medication as it could cause serious harm and it may not change his panting at all. Instead, we'd want to consider a discussion with his vet about other treatments if you aren't keen on the steroids so we can compromise with his treatment but keep him breathing as normally as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )