Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been salivating and dribbling and I've noticed a

My dog has been salivating and dribbling and I've noticed a swelling on side of mouth. Now she seems to have a build up of fluid under her chin. Could you please advise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Swelling on the side of her mouth suggests envenomation by flying insect or spider and fluid under her chin, then, would be inflammatory fluid collecting there because of gravity - a dependent edema. The same scenario could arise secondary to her being bitten by another animal or even from neoplasia if she's an older dog. Salivating and ptyalism (drooling) aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder but should prompt her vet to thoroughly examine your dog's oral cavity as well as that swelling and edema.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How urgently do I need to see a vet as it's the middle of the night here. Thank you

As alarming as she may look, this set of symptoms doesn't represent an emergency. She's long past the point at which a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) would occur. Please do you best to have her attended to in the morning.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll go back to sleep! �� appreciate your advice.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.