nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have two 12 week old very lively WHWT puppies which I have

Customer Question

I have two 12 week old very lively WHWT puppies which I have bred and are keeping for showing purposes, hopefully. Both are fed BARF diet and seem to be doing well except for their bowel motions, which range from firm stools to very soft with dark blood in them, I have never had this before with my other dogs, I have been breeding them for 45 years and are stumped as to what is causing these two puppies to have this problem, they also seem to be pooing more often too, any ideas? Incidentally they have been wormed 3 times with Panacur paste before they were 8 weeks of age and since with Panacur granules on 3 successive days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we would be most concerned that these 2 pups either have developed a low grade bacterial infection (ie Campylobacter, Clostridia, Salmonella) or that we have a protozoal infestation (Giardia which needs 5-7 days of Panacur at a high dose to clear but also possibly Coccidia which would not respond to the Panacur).

In this case, since there signs haven't settled with Panacur, the best option would be to collect a stool sample from each pup for analysis. These can be pooled into one sample to keep tests costs down and you can even submit the sample for testing at your vets before having them seen. Based on those results, you will be able to determine the root cause and address it appropriately to get this cleared for them. Finally, in the meantime, you may also want to start a canine specific OTC probiotic (ie Protexin Enterogenic, Fortiflora, Bene-bac, etc) to help rebalance the good gut microflora and help normalize their stools as you rule out those other infectious issues.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )