Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

MY dog has been diagnosed with Kidney failure aged 11 blood

Customer Question

MY dog has been diagnosed with Kidney failure aged 11 blood reading should be 6-9 hers is 65 HELP
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about Bonnie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you know which blood reading is 65? Has a urinalysis been done?

What are her symptoms?

What is being done for her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blood test f diagnosed Kidney failure by VET reading should be 6-9 reading was 65 dog larthargic any vomits food smell is very bad
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand. I don't know which reading is 65, however: BUN? Creatinine?

Vomiting is common with kidney failure.

It helps to know the results of a urinalysis when a dog has kidney failure; there are things we can learn about the kidneys from urine that we don't know from blood tests. It would help me to know her BUN, phosphorus, creatinine, potassium, red blood cell count, and a urinalysis.

There are many causes of kidney failure: toxins (grapes, raisins, antifreeze, certain mushrooms), infection, autoimmune disease.

There are also two basic forms of kidney failure: acute and chronic. With acute kidney failure, the treatment is "diuresis"; giving IV fluids around the clock for 2 to 3 days, and then repeating the blood tests to see if she is getting better and kidney function is improving.

With chronic kidney disease, the treatment is also fluids, injections to stop the vomiting, and other medications. Acute kidney failure can sometimes be reversed and the kidney function can improve; with chronic kidney disease, you can only manage the symptoms but not improve kidney function.

Is she getting fluids? Do you have the results of the blood test or know which blood test is 65?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote; I have not heard back from you!

I will be glad to answer your questions. It will help to have more information; just knowing one number is ***** does not tell me too much about her and I can't see and examine her. Please let me know if this is helpful.