Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 2 1/2 year old bulldog he suffers with skin

Hi I have a 2 1/2 year old bulldog he suffers with skin conditions in his chin & when really bad along the creases in his neck, his pads also swell up. The vet prescribed apoquel but I don't feel this is the answer as it still flares up. I stopped giving him the medication about 2 months ago. His toes on his left front paw now have blood filled blisters on them - I think maybe he suffers from an allergy to the summer plants in the garden is there anything you could recommend
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe you're referring to a number of relatively common infections in the bulldog. A chin pyoderma is likely. This is a bacterial infection that isn't a true acne but rather is a traumatic furunculosis. The infection along the creases in his neck is called a skin fold pyoderma - again a bacterial infection. His swollen feet are likely to represent a bacterial pododermatitis - yet another infection. The blood-filled blisters are furuncles just as found on his chin but more dramatic and more difficult to manage.

Dexter may also suffer from allergies but infection should be our primary target at this time. Combinations of cleansing wipes, antibacterial shampoos, and systemic antibiotics will be necessary. Skin scrapings looking for an underlying demodectic mange, cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of his skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of both bacteria and yeast, and fungal culture should be considered in such a patient. Dexter needs a treatment plan that will manage his multiple skin disorders. Cure may not be possible particularly if there is an underlying allergic dermatitis (for which his vet appears to have prescribed Apoquel but much more needs to be done). I would consider having a specialist veterinary dermatologist look at such a patient. Please see here: rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/dermatology

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your information - I will definitely be taking your advice and will let you know of the outcome

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.