Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My chihuahua had a op a few weeks back to remove a lump

Customer Question

My chihuahua had a op a few weeks back to remove a lump (benign) and also spayed at same time, a week ago she started having seizures (first time ever) but they are more or less daily. Get done a blood test all fine then yesterday prescribed epilepsy tablets I know they take a while to kick in but she is also very inactive doesn't move from her bed at all.
Please help my wife is in bits
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Pixie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How much does she weigh, and how much of the 15 mg phenobarbital does she take each day? When a dog first starts phenobarbital, it is not unusual for them to be lethargic for the first week or so. I am concerned about her getting siezures at her age. Epilepsy is something a dog is born with, and an epileptic usually begins having seizures when they are less than 3 years old. If she did not have any seizures until now, there is some underlying cause such as low thyroid, low blood sugar, liver disease, or a brain condition like meningitis, encephalitis, or a brain tumor. It is good to know her blood test was normal, but blood tests do not tell us much about the brain. If this were my own dog, I would consider having a consult with a veterinary neurologist.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know about her dose of phenobarb, If it is the phenobarb making her so drowsy there are other medications to try. However, if she were mine, I would be doing more tests to find out why she is seizuring and would consult with a neurologist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weight 2.6kg
1/2 a tablets twice a day
Start yesterday evening so only had 1 tablet in total so far, due for another so.
She has been very lethargic for a while now.Are most vets neurologists too or do we need to contact one separately?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is a high dose of phenobarb. I normally start a dog her size on 5 mg twice daily, 2 mg per kg, and she is getting 7.5 mg.

Veterinary neurologists are specialists, not all veterinarians are neurologists. Thanks for the great rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca just spoke to the wife it is only a quarter twice a day so as you suggest.She also said the vest said leave it another 24 hr to give the tablets a chance to kick in then said about a neology test but said there's nothing can be done if it comes back with tumours etc?
Are there any other possible out comes or is it a way of eliminating that part and could be something else? Thanks martin
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

It actuall takes weeks for the phenobarb levels to level out when you start a dog on phenobarb, but the lethargy caused by it usually only lasts a week or so.

You are correct if there is a tumor there are not many options (radiation therapy), but if it is encephalitis it might respond to antibiotics and steroids. Sometimes I try a combination of doxycycline, clindamycin and prednisone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** also explain how unsteady she is on her feet? She doesn't really want to move but when we put her outside my fresh air or to make sure she's goes to toilet she doesn't really move or is very unstable
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That could be the phenobarb, yes.