Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 12-week old miniature schnauzer puppy got up fine this

My 12-week old miniature schnauzer puppy got up fine this morning, did her business and played for a while. She then went upstairs and since then has become lethargic and sleepy. She will eat a treat but has not eaten her breakfast or drunk any water. Wondering if I should get her to a vet. Can you help please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Molly is so young, it is hard to know what may be causing her distress. The first thing that comes to mind is that she may have injured herself while playing and is not feeling well from this. This does not yet sound like an emergency but I would certainly keep an eye on her. If there is any vomiting or diarrhea, evidence of a fever, then you would consider taking little Molly to the ER vet. You can check her temperature using a human rectal thermometer and normal is 101 to 102.

Give her a little time and then make her move and tempt her with a treat. If that does not work, then let me know and I will try to help.

These young babies are very fragile and are similar to human babies in that they may have merely bruised them selves playing but appear ill...time could heal this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Molly feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!