nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12year old Shih tzu has bumped s eye, which is something

My 12year old Shih tzu has bumped his eye, which is something he has done several times over the years. I have taken him for emergency treatment and the Vet has given my drops to dilate and Metacalm for pain relief. We have never been given this treatment before and I'm worried that we don't actually have anything to heal the ulcer. Am I right to be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, when treating mild eye ulcers, we do tend to use pain relief and an antibiotic drop (which is what Isathal is) to help keep the eye stable so that it is able to heal the ulcer. So, the treatments you have given were fine here. It would only be a very deep ulcer or an old one with poor healing that we'd add in a corneal repair gel or even graft conjunctiva to the ulcer to facilitate healing. So, in Chester's case the treatment is appropriate and we'd not be worried here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )