nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Blood on the surface of a normal dog stool no traces on the

Customer Question

Blood on the surface of a normal dog stool no traces on the inside of stool blood dark in colour
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Did she strain when passing this?

When was she last wormed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lola is well otherwise eating an drinking as usual the blood is dark in colour and inside of the stool is normal with no blood stool is a normal shape and consistency wormed last month might have been the dog that spat it out on the floor I have 4 dogs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solid bowel movement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave them a little chicken a few days ago could it be caused by a small bone
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Now with the blood being dark that only suggests that it has come from the lower colon. This tends to suggest that we have colon has been irritated; either by a hard stool that was difficult to pass, due to bones damaging the gut, or secondary to issues like anal gland disease (though often we will also see a swelling to the side of the rectum or even a wee wound if the gland has ruptured), parasitic infection (ie whipworms) or with inflammation/infection of the colon (colitis).

In regards ***** ***** approach here, if she was allowed any bone material, then we need to monitor for any more and can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, weetabix ) to her diet to help push any bone through. If she is straining, you can also add OTC cat hair ball treatment to help her pass it. Of course, any belly discomfort or more blood and we'd want her seen for this concern.

Otherwise, we can start supportive care for the other concerns. First you may consider worming to remove the concern of parasitic causes. Ideally, you want to use a good quality wormer that will cover against whipworms. Examples would be Panacur, Drontal (http://www.drontal.com/dog.html) or Milbemax (http://www.milbemax.com/) as it will cover all the worms in question and help rule them out as the cause of this colonic bleeding. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of her weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for her size.

As well, if we have an inflammatory colitis then this can sometimes be settled with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. You can also add in an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to ensure the gut microflora are at optimum. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you try the above and this doesn't settle in the next 24-48 hours or you are seeing blood from the rectum not associated with her passing feces, then you would want to want to follow up with her vet to make sure there is no issue with any bones. The vet will be able to examine her, assess her hydration, make sure there are no bones caught, and if they too suspect bacterial colitis, then the vet can also cover Lola with broad spectrum antibiotics to treat against the most common bacterial agents of colitis to settle this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.